Gather a Planning Team
The planning team should consider:
- When will the watch party take place? At the start of the conference. Or, if you wish, at a time of your choosing.(Remember the content is available on demand for 4 months)
- Will it be a one-day or multiple-day event?
- Where will the watch party be hosted? Will it be in person or virtual?
- Will you use the SENIA content solely or will you supplement it with additional speakers/engagements?
- Will refreshments be provided during the event? If so, will they be donated or does your school/local chapter have the funds?
- Will you offer a post conference social gathering?
- How will you advertise?
- Registration: Please contact Lori Boll to get a discounted group registration rate. Please consider donating to our scholarship fund, either at registration or by taking up a collection during the watch party.
- Disclaimer: As you plan, a reminder to consider the social distancing rules in your country.
Confirm and Advertise
- Confirm location and day(s) of Watch Party.
- For a virtual watch party consider your platform – GoogleMeet, Zoom, Skype, Kumospace, Gather Town.
- Build excitement/interest by sharing SENIA website, & SENIA Podcasts with your school, members of your local chapter, colleagues and friends.
- Design a flyer to circulate about the Watch Party with a link to register for the event.
- Will any of your participants wish to earn graduate credits from SUNY University? Be sure to tell them this is an option.
- What content will be the most relevant to your group?
- Will you watch some content all together like the keynote(s) and some content in breakout rooms? Or watch separately and then meet in discussion rooms for virtual watch party?
- Consider creating a survey to poll your participants to decide which keynotes/workshops to show at the watch party.
- Think about the configuration of your venue. Will you need break out rooms or just one common area? For virtual watch parties, decide on the best platform to use for your purposes? GoogleMeet, Zoom, Skype, Kumospace, Gather Town, etc.
- What will be provided to participants? (Name tags/lanyards, folders/notebooks) Attendee Badges can be found in the SENIA Database.
- Will you need to have materials made in advance? (i..e, pens, notebooks, banners)
- If so, access the SENIA Database to get the SENIA logo (Available for Local Chapters only), graphics and printables.
- Consider supporting local businesses for your materials – banners, door prizes, etc.
- Will you be securing sponsors to offset the financial costs?
- Will you be supplying refreshments? Consider supporting organizations that employ adults with special needs in the community (mobile juice bar, bakery, etc).
The heart of a watch party is active engagement with the content and among the participants.
- Start your draft agenda/schedule. Samples from past conferences.
- Plan to welcome the attendees: Who will address the group?
- What will your Ice Breaker be?
Whole Group and Small Group Engagements
- What protocols and conversation engagements do you already know from your schools/organizations?
- Will you be having additional content than what SENIA is providing?
- Ideas: Local Expert Panel discussions, Job Alikes, Group discussion by strands: Inclusive Practices, Social Emotional Learning & Mental Health, Math, Literacy, Intensive Needs.
- Build in energizers/brain breaks.
- Schedule time to visit the exhibitors’ booths – we have many different exhibitors from all over the world! These will be held LIVE so contact us for details.
- Are you thinking about doing contests at your event?
- Plan to interact with other participants/groups worldwide through Whova.
- Social Media Posts – Goal is to build connectivity. Use #SENIA2022
- How will your watch party conclude? Consider bringing the group together to summarize their thinking. Use Elevator Pitch Protocol, Job Alikes, or Networking circles to share their takeaways.
- Hosting a post-conference networking social gathering? Will it be at the same venue or will you move to another location?
– How will you share with participants? Slideshow?
– Ensure all participants have access to wifi (post signs with username/password)
– Ensure that you have tech support on-site
Movement (for in-person watch party)
– Prepare signage to your venue from the car park
– Prepare signage to direct participants to the breakout rooms
Registration (for in-person watch party)
– Will you have a table and people assigned to welcome attendees and sign them in?
Vendors/Exhibitors (for in-person watch party)
– When will you have them arrive?
– What is needed (furniture) for set up?
Refreshments (for in-person watch party)
– Who will set up the refreshments?
– How many tables are required?
– Do you need tablecloths, plates, napkins, cutlery, cups?
- Complete the survey SENIA sends out
- Grab your Certificate of Attendance: This will be issued by SENIA via email to all participants.